Ok, so there are times when it's totally out of line to be snapping pics of food. If you're out to a fancy restaurant with the family, it's totally not cool. But food is a great subject! At home or out and about, mainly because it's such a huge part of everyday life. So, when you are snapping a pic of your lunch or perfectly staging that bowl of ice cream before you devour it, here are 5 tips I use:
1. Natural light is your friend.
- Take advantage of daylight. Move closer to a window for best results.
2. Food styling isn't just for food stylists.
- You chose what's in the picture. Be picky.
3. Try different angles
- From above, sideways, to the right/ left...see what looks best.
4. Fill the frame
- Make your subject fill the image space.
5. Pour, Sprinkle, Bite.
- Now if you do 1 through 4, and your images still look a little dull. Take a bite of it! For real. Moments captured while interacting with food also look cool.
Have fun with it. Submit your images/questions by Monday 11:59pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to stay up to date!